Compliments will make anyone feel special, unique, needed, and appreciated, and there are clear ways for you to focus your words so that your praise will have the most impact.
In performance reviews, words of appreciation for employees consistently impact the happiness of an organization and employee productivity. According to a CareerBuilder survey, 50% of employees indicated that they believed turnover would decrease if managers simply recognized their efforts more frequently. From a productivity standpoint, 40% of employees said they were unlikely to go above and beyond if their bosses took their efforts for granted. So giving out compliments can bring about great changes in productivity.
Here are a few examples of compliments for coworkers that will make them happy instantly, making them put in that extra effort. And once they earn these words, they will continue to deliver excellent performances in the future.
Compliments on Specific Projects
- I’m so impressed with how you handled that meeting today. I always admire how you present your work.
- Hey! Your latest work on X is incredible. I can tell how hard you’ve worked in it — it shows.
- I just wanted to say that I see how hard you’ve been working on X. I admire how dedicated you are to the work you do.
- I loved what you had to say today about X, and I’d like to learn more about it. Would love to grab a coffee and hear more, if you’re open to it!
- Way to go on that project! We were all blown away. (Sometimes, short and sweet is awesome.)
- I can’t get over how great your presentation was. I might need to pick your brain the next time I have to give one!
- Never thought about X that way before. You made me see it differently. I love that!
When They’re Having a Bad Day
- Hey, that was kind of a tough crowd today. I’m impressed with how you handled everything.
- I just remembered that X project you did last month — remember how well it went over? We should talk about working on something like that again. I’m ready for another big win!
- I just want to say that I admire all the work you’re doing.
- Thank you again for helping me with the X project! I literally couldn’t have done it without you.
- Hey, I know work’s been crazy lately, and I just want to say that everything you do is incredible. Can I help lighten the load in any way?
- How do you always look so put together even on crazy weeks like this? It’s so impressive.
- Thank you again for [Insert anything here. That’s the beauty of it.]. I know I don’t say that enough.
Compliments for a Big Win
- Congrats on the promotion. No one deserves this more.
- You killed it in there! It energized me to get started on X.
- I’m amazed by how well you do this job. It’s so inspiring.
- You inspire me to do better work. (Inspire is always a good work compliment word.)
- I seriously can’t wait to see what you do next.
- I’m taking notes from the way you work. I want my work to be that good.
Compliments on Their Skills
- You are such an incredible problem-solver.
- I’m so impressed by how you communicate. It makes everything easier.
- I don’t know what we would do with you and your ideas.
- Thank you so much for helping me on X. I’m not the best at [insert a skill here that’s one of their strong suits], so you were a lifesaver.
- You’ve got such an amazing work ethic.
- Your skills made this project come together.
- You bring so much to this team, especially with presentations. (You can use any specific element or skill the person tends to add to the project.)
- You ask such insightful questions.
Compliments for Your Boss
- Thank you for taking the time to work with me on this. It helped me get so much more out of this project.
- I appreciate you trusting me with added responsibility. It means a lot.
- I know you juggle a lot as our manager, so I just want to say that I’m so impressed by the great work you get done.
- I’ve learned so much from you.
Other Miscellaneous Compliments That would Come Handy
- Having you on the team makes a huge difference
- I enjoy working with you.
- Thank you for setting a great example for your coworkers.
- I was blown away by your contributions this week.
- I just wanted to let you know how much you mean to the team.
- You play a crucial role in our company’s success.
- It’s honestly hard to explain how integral you are to this team.
- I can’t believe how lucky I am to have a great colleague like you.
- You’re good at cheering everybody up!
- You come up with fantastic ideas!
- Not everyone is as creative as you — I mean it!
- You have an extremely healthy perspective.
- You’re a savvy problem-solver.
- We enjoyed your contribution during the presentation.
- You’re a great communicator.
- I appreciate your trust.
- Your positive attitude is infectious.
- I appreciate you taking responsibility.
- I appreciate how tech-savvy you are.
- It’s surprising how well you perform, even under pressure.
- You bring a lot of positivity to our work.
- Your work is unparalleled.
- We can’t let you leave us.
- You never shy away from responsibility, and we love that about you.
- It’s amazing how you’re always able to overcome any obstacle thrown your way.
For more interesting blogs on Applicant Tracking System and current happenings in the HR world follow us here and on LinkedIn!