What is inclusion?
Inclusion is the extent to which every person in an organization feels respected, welcomed, supported and valued as a teammate. It is the practice of providing everyone in the workplace equal access to opportunities and resources. It eradicates differences between different groups based on gender, race, and even those who are differently-abled.
How to build an inclusive workplace?
- Educate the leaders of the organization
- Form an inclusion council
- Celebrate employee differences
- Listen to employees
- Hold more effective meetings
- Communicate goals and measure progress
Benefits of having inclusion in the workplace
- Higher job satisfaction
- Lower turnover
- Higher productivity
- Higher employee morale
- Increased problem solving
- Increased creativity and motivation
- Increased organizational flexibility
- Decreased vulnerability to legal charges